Monday, February 8, 2010

Quirky Catalyst

Well as indicated before there is something not working as I would have hoped for it to:
This includes saving of profiles in the Catalyst Control Center as well as turning monitors on and off.

In normal operation I have my Dell 2407wfp (DVI) in portrait mode on the left, in center my Samsung 2493HM (DVI) in landscape and to my right my HP LA2405wg in landscape.
My Samsung is my primary screen. On it are: mail client, ICQ, other stuff that periodically asks for attention.
On my Dell I primarily surf. Using Firefox and Internet Explorer.
And the HP as latest addition is still kind of looking for a job.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and the latest Catalyst 10.1 drivers.

I also have my LG 32LF2500 connected to my card via HDMI to watch streaming TV from time to time.

Ideally I would save three profiles:
1) Eyefinity: Dell+Samsung+HP 5760*1200
2) Non-Gaming: Dell (portrait), Samsung (landscape), HP (landscape)
3) Movies: LG, Samsung, HP
I actually can save those profiles. Regrettably what isn't loaded when trying to load a profile is the position of the screens. Though sometimes it actually loads that correctly too.
Also forgotten is which screen is the primary one. Annoying.
And after using the TV with 120 pixels less in height, sometimes the driver seems to think that the PC Monitors (or at least any one of them) is also lacking in height.

Well, that's annoying but wouldn't even be that bad.

Much worse is that it also switches the configuration when screens are turned off.
E.g.: When using setup 3 with the TV I like to turn off the PC Screens. If I then switch away from the HDMI Input on the TV one of the turned off Monitors suddenly switches its windows with the TV (i.e.: The video stream from the tv is now on the pc monitor while the mail client, icq and web browser are on the tv instead of the monitor. The funny part of this is, that the Monitor stays the primary display through all of this.)

And that is really annoying. Especially when lying in bed and not wanting to get up again to return the settings to what they are supposed to be.

I've got a tough time wrapping my head around this. I don't really understand why it is hard to just leave the windows on the screen I left them on, and ignore any change in what is turned on and what is turned off.

I also don't quite get why it doesn't actually restore my profiles the same way I saved them. Or rather, why it seems to guess what I saved and most of the time guesses wrong.

Oh well, that's the breaks I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment